Apr 6, 2011

Liars at the Doctor's office

The military medical system is one giant FAILURE.

(Except for the free part)

Emily had three immunizations today- two shots and one oral.

That's right, three.  That means that the stupid nurse on the phone that said, "The two month appointment is a big one, they get seven shots!" was a BIG FAT LIAR.

Way to freak me out over nothing people. Thanks.

Our appointment was at 9 at the pediatrician on base.  David was able to meet me there, yay! The woman we see is very nice and actually seems to know her stuff.  She even gave me a prescription for baby Tylenol to have ready when Emily got her shots.

So we walked down to immunizations (yes, it's a separate office- same hallway) and I realized I forgot her immunization card.  But they've got to have it on record right?

So the kid  corpsman at the desk asks me if she's had both Hep B shots.  I say, I don't know.  I remember one a few days before we left the hospital.  He says that they get one at birth and a month later, did she have both? I tell him that I have no idea, can they just do it again as a bonus shot? He says that no, they can't do that and that I should go home and find it because they have to know that.

I searched our house for an hour trying to find this thing.  I remember the nurse handing it to me, and I knew I put it somewhere safe.  Safe but hidden I guess.  It's amazing how stuff gets put away (or not) after you get home from a long hospital stay.  While I was looking I talked to a nurse where she was born who told me she had an immunization in January.  But not that she had two.  THEN I found the card, which also only said January.  

So we go BACK to base (minus David this time who can only leave work so many times in a day) and I get to the desk and hand over her card and tell him that this is the info that I have.  I was damn proud of my finding skills- and he didn't even care.

Once we get back in the room and the other (different) corpsman pulls out Emily's paperwork, I tell him that I'm not sure about her Hep B but that she had at least one.

He holds up a piece of paper with BOTH FREAKING SHOTS DOCUMENTED ON IT.

WHAT THE FRICK PEOPLE?  Someone dropped the freaking ball here.  Thanks for wasting my time.

I hate doctors, I hate the military, and I hate that damn kid at the immunization desk.

3 comments:

  1. Be glad that it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loading and unloading the car with a baby is such a herculean effort. I can't believe they had it documented in the office the whole time! Fail is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I can't even imagine what a royal pain of a day that turned into! I guess it made for an adventurous tale on your blog.

    ReplyDelete